Satu artikel menarik untuk direnungkan...
Resolutions for one and all
MUSINGS By MARINA MAHATHIR
I wish that our Government would resolve to:
1. Slap down rather than merely slapping the wrists of those public figures and politicians who misbehave. Just say “that’s nonsense and we won’t stand for it!” rather than the wishy-washy “we must investigate” reaction. Or worse still, complete silence.
2. Stop twisting words in order to spin what’s wrong into what’s right.
3. Stop using simpering journalists to interview politicians because they do a great job of convincing the public that both they and their interviewees are nothing but idiots.
4. Stop demonising people who are critical and calling them traitors when they probably love their country more than most.
5. Stop being afraid of those who think that getting ahead means getting handouts for everything in the belief that this will let them stand tall.
6. Do the right thing even when it may make them unpopular for a while. Ban plastic bags. Push for safer sex. Outlaw child marriages.
7. Remind some people that they are paid by taxpayers to do their job and that does not entitle them to act as if they are God’s representatives on earth.
8. In fact, I truly wish we could just forget about having to use taxpayers’ money to pay anyone who is likely to believe they are God’s representatives on earth.
9. Allow more consultation with people on the ground who know what communities need for their own development. Maybe have a policy that ensures that absolutely nobody is marginalised for any reason.
10. Overhaul the entire education system to make it more open, democratic, and at par with the best in the world. And completely eradicate politics from it.
11. Make sports and the arts as important as economic development because we need to have a country with soul.
12. Ban the habit of giving titles to sports, arts and entertainment figures until they’re at least 50 or have had significant achievements in their field for a number of years. Roger Federer has been No 1 in the tennis world for a record-breaking 237 weeks and the Swiss government still hasn’t made him a Datuk.
1. Ticket every single person who double and triple park on Fridays and not excuse them just because they are apparently communing with God. Or, watching football.
2. Stop finding parangs in the cars of every single person who accuses them of wrongdoing.
3. Stop shrugging their shoulders every time someone complains of their bags being snatched, laptops stolen etc. Police reports aren’t just for claiming insurance or getting new ICs done.
Happy 2011, folks!